Wednesday, January 13, 2010

This Is the Day

I used to marvel that my children avoided sleep so much that they would prolong the bedtime routine. “Mommy, can I have a drink?” “Mommy, will you read me another story?” “Mommy, I love you!” they would call from their bedrooms, adding minutes to their day and wakefulness. All I could think of was, “Would you PLEASE go to sleep, because hello pillow, here I come.” But no matter what time they got to bed and finally to sleep, they awakened early -- sometimes extremely early! -- ready to start their day. I think my grandchildren have the same genetic biorhythms as their parents, for they, too, awaken bright and early, even if they get to stay up later than their normal bedtimes.

Somewhere along our lifetimes, we lose the childlike excitement of living each day. The stresses of daily life press us into our mattresses as early as we can lie down on them. Those same stresses cause us to hit the snooze button every morning to enjoy a few extra moments of dreamland. Busy lifestyles filled with careers, family, and ministry create constantly changing dynamics that overturn a tentative equilibrium. The sheer physical strain of getting successfully through each jam-packed day sometimes makes me really, really tired.

This morning I awoke very early, not from worry or a fitful sleep, but because I feel expectant about today, a new day. There is nothing unusual about my schedule or to-do list that is cause for excitement, and actually, I anticipate that it will be like most other days: busy, filled, without notable events or major life changes.

Nevertheless, our gracious Father-God gives this gift of a new day, and I feel the childlike expectancy and excitement of being a part of it. I awaken early because I don’t want to miss any of it. I feel like it is a treasure waiting to be discovered, a treat waiting to be savored. I will rejoice in it!

This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24


"Photo courtesy PDPhoto.org"

No comments:

Post a Comment